Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Yeah, but I wouldn't use them. Bondhus will cost a couple buck each for singles and 20-25 for a set but at a good quality, US made, reliable allen wrench. Not going to ruin your nice stuff with a lousy, soft steel wrench.

Agree, they've sucked since Park stopped offering those. I'll have to try out the Unior.

That's really true of any wrench, ratchet makes no difference. Early on I stripped out a couple of those 9mm nuts on the front der using an old craftsman wrench, which isn't as long as the Wright non-ratcheting I use and certainly shorter than the Snap-on and SK ratchet wrenches I use. Even with the longer wrenches I haven't stripped any out, I just learned to apply an appropriate amount of torque.
Unior has the "blades" molded into plastic (so the core is just pure plastic). Not very strong or durable, especially the smaller version (the 4-5-6 mm hex version is OK-ish).

For some reason, I'm not a fan of those three-way wrenches (regardless of the brand, quality etc.). The ends always get in the way (hit something when turning).
I prefer a combo of one "normal" and one T-handle bit-holding screwdriver (Wera are my favourite because of the bit quality and design).

tcs
+1 for the Wera Kraftform Lasertip (I have the same as depicted, stainless-steel version). It's awesome.
Wera Phillips bits work very well with screws on bikes, but when I need to use more force and torque (especially for more than a few turns), the Lasertip's tip and handle shape and size are just a perfect fit for my hands at least.