Old 12-27-19, 06:54 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I just grabbed my Varia to charge it after my 69 (giggidy) mile ride. I noticed a bit of schmutz on it. Checked my rear tire - yup, a little more than 10 psi lower than when I set out this morning. This is pretty much my typical tubeless experience.
That's been pretty much my experience. Seals up in about one revolution. Sometimes I feel it on a leg, most times I don't know it even happened.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My personal opinions about tubeless, having in excess of 40k miles sans-tubes:

Do you get a lot of puncture flats? Like more than 1-2 a month?
Do you ride a lot of miles, like more than 100 miles a week, and answered yes to question 1?

Then tubeless is absolutely for you. Otherwise, maybe not. Barring tires like Hardshells, I would get flats every 6 days or so. I live in the unofficial goathead and bottle glass capital of the world. So tubeless, absolutely.

Am I happy about things like rim tape and the cost of tubeless tires? Umm, no. But I had exactly two flats in 2019-- over 10k miles-- and both resulted in the total loss of the tire.
I ride on primarily rural highways that don't ever get swept. Before tubeless, I was getting a flat about every 400-500 miles. After going tubeless, I get somewhere around 6000 miles per flat - so little, I don't bother keeping track anymore. Big advantage for me since I'm riding in a forested area and stopping to change tubes during certain times of the year is to invite the loss of significant blood volume to mosquitos (Minnesota State Bird).

But I do agree that it's going to be situational.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
What tires are you using on the road bike? Schwalbe G-One Speed tires are about $44 at Merlin Cycles.

No flats in 2019(over 10k miles), and the ride is fast/smooth.
I've been using the both the Schwalbe Pro 1 and the G-1 speeds on my gravel bike. Both tires feel much better without a tube, more supple. The G-1 speeds feel like I was driving a truck with tubes. When I set them up tubeless, felt noticeably better. That said, I was paying a lot more attention to inflation pressure after the change to tubeless but I wasn't far enough off before to matter that much.
Likes For JohnJ80: