View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 12:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I make sure my bikes are 100% tuned, cleaned, and ready to roll. Then price them at or below what similar bikes (that usually need something or another) on CL are priced at. Often, I don't have to lower my asking price, especially from buyers who have "been looking around a while". "Firm" pricing is another option I've used at times. Nice way to weed out the low ballers just looking to flip for a buck.

I only accept cash. Most of my bikes go for much less, but late last year I sold one for $1400... my asking price. Yes, buyer brought cash because they wanted the bike, and frankly it was a good deal. I'd do the same if I were the buyer.

Seriously, if the bike is properly and honestly marketed, no interested buyer is going to show up and be disappointed. Especially on a high dollar bike! What usually happens is buyer and I correspond many times, asking and answering questions, sharing more photos and stories, etc. By the time they show up, there are no surprises.

Now that I think of it, I also sold $6500 and $9000 muscle cars for cash. Buyers showed up with a big pile of hundreds and we both were happy.