burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Two hours at endurance pace this morning. The VO2 max intervals are affecting me more than expected; this morning's ride felt a good bit harder than it should have. I guess that means I needed this. One more set left in this build.
I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet, but I'm tracking CTL/ATL in Excel........by zone.

I wanted to see if I could correlate something in the data to how I felt or what I could do.

I'm not there yet, but, your feeling above I can sympathize with. I have to have a rest or easy day before VO2 and nothing super taxing after.

I'm on way less volume than these other folks in here, but, I definitely notice less overall TSS in weeks with more work in the harder zones than weeks spent on tempo "all you can eat SS".

I had an easy 5k run Sun/Mon and did a really good warmup before the Tue A-group ride. That I'd assume built some "form" and I crushed the VO2 efforts on the ride.

So, there is something to it. I'm just trying to quantify it for myself so I can predict when to try the tougher workouts OR call it and take a day to prep instead.

Ninja edit:
I looked in TP at my peaks from my road race that was about 10min longer than this week's group ride.

That comparison gave me an idea of the cost of riding stupid.

The group ride in which I felt great after.......I actually had MORE time in zone 5 and 6 total on less overall ride time than the road race. And more nominal power also.

Meaning, in the race I spent about 5 minutes too much time doing dumb stuff instead of getting back in line and resting for the next hit. Ultimately costing me a better result.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 05-16-19 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For burnthesheep: