Old 05-15-19, 02:06 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I use the Trelock Trigo. It’s a mid level folding lock which, for me, balances nicely the considerations of weight, protection and functionality.

Folding locks provide strong protection, yet they also fold and wrap around fixed objects almost like a cable lock. Folding locks also pack down nicely into convenient holsters which make them easy to carry around. Folding locks can be purchased in pairs or even triples for keyed-alike service, but I’ve only seen them offered in keyed-alike configurations internationally.

I suppose the hinge pins would be an area of focus for a thief, yet I’ve never seen it happen. It’s common knowledge that a powered cutting wheel can render even the toughest locks useless in a matter of minutes, so I hardly find it worthwhile to worry about pins or lock picking stories.

There isn’t a lock made that’s 100% effective. Not one. So considering this, I base my choice of lock on practical realities like ease of use, effectiveness, and cost.

-Kedosto
Cheers; my U-lock fits nicely enough in my backpack or on my rear-rack with some velcro straps, but I have been considering other options. Yours is pretty expensive looking, though - $200 on Amazon. Almost double my U-lock and about half the cost of my current bike (though I suppose strength to portability is a premium in its own right). With the mounting bracket / packs I've seen for most folding locks it seems like it would work fine on my seat tube for when I don't want to carry a backpack at all - rare, mind, but sometimes.

M.