Old 09-17-20, 08:05 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
You were saying you wanted to do some of the climbs in the France guest world on Zwift.

There are a couple of different ways (so called "worlds hacks") that you can use to ride in worlds that aren't Watopia or one of the 2 selected guest worlds for the day. There is a way that you can modify the preferences file in a text editor to change which world you go to, there is a mod program that you can download that allows you to change those settings via click boxes instead of modifying the preferences file (which I find a bit scary because I'm afraid I'll screw something up), or you can just schedule a meetup with a friend (who doesn't have to show up) on the route of your choice in any world whether it is the guest world of the day or not.

As far as the big climbs, I prefer to do Alpe du Zwift over the Ventoux climb because Alpe du Zwift is set up so that, on the lefthand side of the screen, the distance between each of the hairpins is listed as a separate segment. It tracks your watts, W/kg, and heartrate for each segment and lists what you did for the last couple segments and shows what's coming up next. It breaks a long climb up into a lot of smaller goals and lets you set minigoals or compete with your previous segments if you get bored.

Ventoux on the other hand (they call the route that goes all the way to the top Ven-Top) is graphically pretty, but is more of a boring straight climb. There are mile markers along the way if you happen to notice them, but it doesn't break things up and give you smaller things to shoot for the way Alpe du Zwift does. Either route would be much better if you could set it up to go against ghosts of your past attempts, but at last Alpe du Zwift has those segments. I don't know, maybe I just don't have the mental stamina to stay focused for that long and others don't have that problem (or maybe it's that I'm fat and slow and people to take less than 2 hours aren't doing it long enough to get bored). I just really like something to chase.
Plus on top of Alpe du Zwift there is a wheel that will give minimum 250 points, and sometimes 1k. I was kind of disappointed there was nothing on top of Ven-Top. I figured it's a long climb, so they might put some incentive.