Old 06-16-21, 08:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I picked up a used frame that I really love only to find out that the BB appears to be siezed in it. Soaking a couple days with PB Blaster, using the Pedro's tool to screw the BB tool to the spindle and then tapping the wrench with a mallet is the max of my abilities and didn't dislodge it, so I'm planning on taking it in to the local shop where they may have better tools/a mounted vice to get it out. Debating on whether to put masking tape on the downtube saying "Italian thread, loosens counterclockwise" because I don't know how many of them would have seen those before and don't want them to accidentally make it tighter (probably how it goes siezed in the first place when a previous owner tried removing it), but I also don't want to offend them if I get one of the experienced guys who actually knows what he's doing. I've definitely gotten questions before about the tiresavers I had on one of the bikes I'd brought in for something because they'd never seen one before. Doesn't help that I like to ride exotic, vintage bikes that I build up to suit my needs in ways other than they would typically be done.
I would put the warning on.
For these things I weigh the potential outcome. Having a guy say "I know that" vs having a guy totally screw up the bike frame.
It is no exaggeration to expect modern bike mechanics to not understand vintage bikes.
Likes For Happy Feet: