burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
But how often are there big crashes on these rides? I've seen them around here for years now, but I rarely hear of may catastrophes from them.
Usually more than one a year. With Covid stuff and no rides for a year, obviously nothing to speak of for 2020. But 2019 there was more than one.

This came up on Bikeforums a while back, I think a local guy to me disagreed with me that had gone to that ride.........but it's the Inside Out Sports group ride out of Cary. It's just my opinion and I won't go back to it.

I formed my opinion after I went to it once and decided to instead ride solo and follow behind after watching during the "rollout". I know some locals really like that ride and speak fine of it. But what I saw was a damned mess. Maybe I caught a bad night. Sure, some strong folks might get off front and then be out of the "mess" but I'd rather not count on that probability for a safe ride.

In terms of a "sketchy" rating from zero to 5, I'd say that ride is a solid 3.5 to 4.0. Our weeknight worlds our team runs I'd give a 1.5 out of 5.0 simply because it is still a "worlds" and not a workout rotation. The difference in discipline between the two is just night and day.

I totally get riding a TT bike using the Di2 with hands on the brakes. Even during the rollout I saw folks hammering around in the aerobars mid-group. Looking like a Cat 5 road race with TT bikes mixed it.

So I said "hell no" and dropped back and rode alone and chose to not return.

There is now a guy doing a once or twice a month club TT local to me I go do and then I do our team's weeknight worlds.