View Single Post
Old 06-23-22, 05:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Bad decisions and adventure is what being a teenager is all about. And it is very, very easy to talk to motorcycle racers and stunt-men about throwing down a bike on purpose in a controlled manner. One time when I was a pre-teen my brother and I along with a large group of kids were riding down a very steep long hill of a dirt road to see how fast we could go down it with our bicycles. In fact it was known by all local residents as "Dead Man's HIll" for whatever reason. I saw my little brother go into a high-speed wobble and go down, I wanted to be with him to help him all I could so without a thought I bailed off the back of my bicycle and slid on the dirt to a stop, not thinking of myself but watching him as he slid with his bike along side. The only reason you say things are silly is because they are not withing your experience or imagination, which are rather small it seems.
Says the guy who screwed up his knee screwing up a turn. Doing the math, if you were a teenager in the 1970s, you're in your 60s. If you can't ride on roads without routinely crashing at this point, I'm going with the lessons of my experience and imagination over yours, by a very, very long shot.

I ride several thousand miles every year. I have crashed a few times, some at pretty high speed. I have never been seriously injured. The main thing I have learned is never to give up on trying to get control of the bike until you actually hit the ground. I've learned that by doing that, I've avoided several crashes that I initially thought were inevitable. Also, if my hands are on the handlebars when I do land due to a crash, that's probably the closest I'll get to a roll. It works very well. My muscle memory works best when it's focused on keeping me upright, not on some vain effort to alter my trajectory in midair.

You keep talking about stunt-men, this has absolutely nothing to do with the planning and preparation they go through to pull off the stunt. If you're on the road when the mishap occurs, you don't have a clue where and how you're likely to land. Stunt-men prepare themselves, their bike and their road and their landing site.

I'm really not going to get into a competition with you about dumb stuff we did as kids. And I hate to break it to you, but this isn't motorcycle racing.
Likes For livedarklions: