Old 05-05-21, 09:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indiecollin
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could learn a thing or 2 about being a better cyclist. Some background on me, I started riding roadbikes when I was 23 and have been doing so for the past 5 years. I've probably rode over 10k miles and I've spent thousands of dollars on cycling. I really love riding as a hobby though I haven't been doing it much over the pandemic. Despite all I've said, I hardly know anything about these beautiful machines and I decided that today I would try and change that.

I ride a 2013 cervelo R3 with a hodgepodge of different components. Whenever something goes wrong with my bike I just find myself throwing money at the problem instead of getting a better understanding of what caused the problem so I can be a more informed consumer. I also feel like I have a really good bike with features I don't completely understand (like my electric derailleur that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own). I feel like I tried to get a bunch of "pro" stuff while still being fairly amateur. Where should I begin in better understanding my bike, cycling in general, and how to properly maintain/repair my bikes?
First, I had that exact same bike and loved it. I never would have parted with it if I'd had a choice. I replaced it with another Cervelo that's also wonderful, but I still miss the R3 and I'm sightly jealous. 🙂

Welcome. To your last question, there are great resources all over the net. If you have any specifics questions people in here love talking about bikes.