View Single Post
Old 09-24-21, 11:48 AM
whiteghost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Sounds like the lockring is bottoming out on the freehub body. You could be merely torquing the lockring against the freehub body. It tightens enough to hold things together, but not enough to keep the cogs from moving.

John
I've checked that, it should be able to pull down another at least one millimeter more before bottoming out.

Originally Posted by cuevélo
Another possibility is that your highest/smallest sprocket is not correctly aligned. Is the small sprocket tight, and the rest are loose?
What do you mean by not correctly aligned? I tought it can only be assembled in one way, because of the notchings.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Here’s another possibility that I’ve had to deal with on varying cassettes. And sorry…the picture below is the only one I could find to explain it. Sometime on the back side (or spoke side) of a cassette the bolt or rivets holding the gears together may not be flush, or flat. Depending on the hub…you may or may not need a spacer if the rivet/bolt is flush/flat. If I don’t insert the spacer, the lock ring bottoms out and doesn’t completely tighten the cassette onto the hub. I was able to purchase spacers of varying thickness at an LBS. If this is in fact your issue…remember that the spacer can go either before the cassette, or before the lock ring. And, it will likely require the shifting to be adjusted. — Dan
The lock ring is not bottoming, it's pushing the casette down. If I put a 2mm spacer behind the casette, I might not be able to tighten the lock ring, because it cant reach the thread in the hub. Is it safe to use a narrower spacer behind the casette? I might be able to fit in 1mm.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you certain about the rear hub model. I'm not certain a 11 speed cassette will work with just any 9 speed Shimano rear or what ever yours is.

A FH-TX505-8 is a 8 speed free hub that is compatible with 9 speed cassettes, but I'm not sure if that moves on up the road in compatibility with 11 speed cassettes.
It's listed to be compatible with 11 speed, picture is from shimano's website.

Also to answer some:
There is no wear on my hub, it's almost brand new. I've checked the threading on the lock ring and in the hub before, it appears to be fine.

Thank you for all your answers. I've made a video of the problem.
Please note that i'm pushing down on the pedal so the hub is tightened.
At the moment the casette is also tightened way above the recommended torque range, between 50-60 nm.
At 40 nm the movement is about the same, but it requires less force to jiggle.

youtube .com/watch?v=jDuhRjfeIOM
(please remove the spaces, I can't post links, new account)

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-24-21 at 07:16 PM.