View Single Post
Old 12-31-21, 08:34 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Here are some photos of our street (taken yesterday at dusk)
That looks like ice. I wouldn't even think of riding on that without studded tires.
I'm sure it would be possible to traverse that surface with a "light touch" on the pedals and brakes. But if you're riding in traffic, you have to be prepared to do some evasive action. Any sudden change in speed or direction on ice will almost certainly exceed the limits of traction unless the tires are studded. Going down on a hard ice surface would be bad enough... in front of a vehicle could be fatal.
Yes, the studded tires make noise and increase rolling resistance on dry pavement. Unfortunately, streets don't come uniformly coated with ice, so the rider is left with a decision: what percentage of ice coverage on the street makes it worthwhile to use studs? Personally, on my 7-mile daily round-trip commute, if I expect more than about 100 yards of ice, I'll ride the bike with studs (age: 71). YMMV.