View Single Post
Old 01-02-23, 11:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10471 Post(s)
Liked 11,983 Times in 6,134 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've done the Mount Wilson NYD ride 16 times, iirc. Always from home, making it about 65 miles when we could get to the top. Sometimes too much snow and ice.
I did it when it was so windy I could hear the sand rattling on my glasses. Did it in the rain and one year it was 22 degrees when we turned to go back down.
Mount Wilson Pt. 3 - Mount Wilson | Strava Ride Segment in La Caņada Flintridge, California

Here is a pic from the road to the summit. It's 5 miles and gains about 1000 feet. Gotta be careful coming back down.

Me near the top with full-on aerobelly.
If I were to consider doing the Mt Hamilton climb again, I'd chose a warm, but not hot day, and/or I'd pack some dry clothes for the trip back down. The biggest problem was my hands, which got chilled and tired from braking so much on the descent - too much loose sand and gravel on the turns, plus I'd never descended it before, so I was really wary.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles