Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I did until two weeks ago.

I'm 57. Sometime in my 40s the straight bar became problematic for my hands. I added in-board bar ends which worked well, and then an aero bar for even more hand positions, and aero for head winds.

But since I commute in traffic, I need brakes where my hand are, and the need for brakes and shifting kept my hands on the main "straight" grips enough to cause discomfort.

My hands are fine on my two drop-bar bikes.

So two weeks ago I put on drop bars.

And last weekend I added secondary cross-brake/interrupter levers for the uppers like I have on my other two bikes.

The inboard or mid-bar bar ends worked well (except for the brakes)...

...and your implementation shows they can look good, and be stylish.

My implementation...not so much. Of course the foam padding doesn't help the esthetics, but it does help my hands and allows me to keep riding.

With the bar-ends just a bit narrower than "hoods" I always thought of it as a "jockey" position. Very comfortable, and very aero.

Nice!..Enjoy!
First of all, thank you for the compliment on aesthetics.

I really like your set up with redundant brake controls; however, have you checked out Jones H Bars? They have several hand positions, including spread out over the loop which helps if you encounter numbness. You could definitely use your current interrupter levers on the forward-most position on the front of the loop. I think the only reason I didn't go this route is because my end goal is to get a Jones LWB so not wanting to put a ton of $ in to my current ride.