View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
You have made a big mess of that bike and are consistently blaming shops which I don't believe at this point. People do make mistakes but every single shop screwed up is wrong and you know it, I know it and the rest of us in this thread know it. Deleting past malfeasance is not helping your cause. Just say "hey I may have screwed up the bike and I need help fixing it. Here is what I have and what I am trying to do. Please let me know how if possible to achieve that?" Simple easy and doesn't lay blame on anyone but yourself. When I damaged the outer casing of my dropper housing I couldn't blame anyone but myself and my own hardheadedness. I was trying to route it poorly because I wanted a cleaner look and realized it wouldn't work after I screwed up.

Get someone to properly dish your wheel, make sure you are running the correct bottom bracket for the crank you have (typically for the Sugino RD2 Messenger is 103 on a 120mm frame), get the correct chainring bolts for your set up or crank (or use the proper spacers if need be) and use the proper grease or thread locking compound and torque for everything. I would look for a chainring bolt with a dual hex (or Torx) head personally as I find I can work with them more easily. I would check with Sugino on what crank you have as currently they do not produce the RD2 in a double as far as I know but they have in the past and some people might not know that or notice the difference. Of course this is all with nice clean parts or new parts as needed get all the grime out from everything.

Single speeds and fixed gears aren't necessarily hard to work on but any new mechanic or someone who doesn't know the process can make an error and just not know what they are doing. It does not mean you are a bad person or a failure it just means it is something to learn and practice. This seems like a perfect set up to practice with and learn.
Likes For veganbikes: