View Single Post
Old 11-23-21, 12:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Since the OP is back, I thought I'd share my story. I've got two custom ti's from the same builder 2008 and 2011. First one I had painted red. Red forks and frame back to just behind the brake bridge and chainstay support. A black panel on the DT with red builders name. Simply because I always wanted a red bike. Second ti has a red painted fork. The rest is the builder's brushed ti.

I am hard on finishes. Somewhat clumsy and bikes will always be tools for me. I've dabbed pant into several paint chips on the red bike. Not perfect but the chips no longer scream at me. The builder has refurbished the ti on the second bike at least once; putting on new decals. Overall the work to keep them good looking is near a toss. The first bike stands out in a crowd. The second bike is considerably harder to find.

I look at ti as just another metal like steel or aluminum except - you do not have to paint it. There are places for the color "cloud flat grey". Between winters in Ann Arbor and years in the PNW, I've gotten to know that grey really well. But I only need so much of it in my garage.