View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 09:00 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I'm not sold. I have reservations about treating bicycles differently than cars. If the "bike lanes" are not universal, at some point, the bikes have to return to the real world. Also, I worry that special lanes nourish resentment against bikes and their riders. I find a little common sense goes a long way. Many times, to cross a big intersection, I go pedestrian and walk my bike, with the benefit of the lights.
This is actually opposite to my experience. I have bike commuted in Ottawa for 9 years. I've had exactly one encounter with someone that got heated, and that was 8 years ago (driver pulled right into bike lane right in front of me to block me while in line of stopped cars). All of this cycling infrastructure brings more cyclists, more motorists are cyclists, and all motorists seem to be watching for cyclists more and driving more considerately towards cyclists......

I understand things are different in other locations, but the city and National Capitol Commission are both pushing cycling infrastructure, and drivers' attitudes have improved along with the infrastructure.
Likes For Viich: