View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 10:09 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I notice a few of you suggest that the two step turn is not suitable for you... I think this depends highly on traffic load.

When I was a regular bike commuter in San Diego, one road I used often was Genesee, to get beyond University City... the speed limits of the road were 45MPH. At times during the typical commute hours, the fast heavy traffic made it impossible to make a left turn by merging over two lanes and ultimately into the left turn lane... the two step turn was my salvation.

Now note, I said "at times." Sometimes the traffic was so heavy that it moved at about 10MPH... thus easy merges. Sometimes the traffic was so light (albeit fast) that I could merge quickly, and make the turn.

But generally at the times I needed to go... the two part turn was my best solution... because it was safe, and it worked.
You're right, there have been a few times, because of heavy, fast-moving traffic, that I had to either stop and wait for a clearing to get over or I've actually used the two-step turn.

However, and this is just a personal observation, I have also noticed that drivers (including myself) have not been able to get over to the left (or right), because of heavy traffic. I just saw this the other day with a motorist in front of me (I was driving my truck) was attempting to get over to the right, then he (I'm guessing) missed his turn, so now he was trying to get over to the left, presumably to make a U-turn -- no one wanted to let this guy over. I can't count how many close calls I've seen when motorists forced themselves into another lane.

I'm sure if I cycled in a busy city more often, I'd have to employ the tactic more often.

Likes For work4bike: