View Single Post
Old 08-12-22, 10:49 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Lets bring this thread back to riding bikes again.... Starting on Mercer Island, I rode over to Vashon Island to visit with my big brother yesterday.

On the way down to the Seattle Waterfront, down Post Alley….

Visit my Big Bro by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The famous “Gum Wall” was choked with tourists. I had to walk through the melee

I follow the waterfront around Alki Point and through Lincoln Park.

On the Ferry, Vashon Island ahead.

Vashon is a great place to explore by bike. It’s quite hilly. One of my favorite roads is Burma Road on the North end of the Island. During normal times, I liken it to the closest thing to bungy jumping on a bike. Usually I bomb down this road as it falls steeply through some ravines to catch enough speed to carry me up the equally steep walls on the other side but this was not the case today

My brother had told me it was damaged this past winter and closed to thru traffic. I had to go check it out. Going past the road closed signs I descended carefully not knowing what to expect. Here’s the worst of the damage.

Looking North from KVI Beach.

My Big Bro

Unfortunately, because I got a late morning start, the time to visit is short as I had to catch the ferry back to West Seattle and ride back to the car I had left on Mercer Island. The early evening light casting shadows on the skyscrapers downtown on the return.