Old 08-28-20, 12:36 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While bikepacking equipment has been borrowed by people who want to ride marginal bikes for touring and carrying stuff that is loaded too high for such twitchy bikes, bikepacking gear did originally have a purpose. As I stated above, I’ve tried all the methods of carrying stuff off-road and bikepacking gear is by far the best tool for the job. Revelate Designs’ development of bikepacking gear really was revolutionary for off-road touring. Prior to 2007 the only options were trailers or panniers both of which have issues as I detailed above. For road touring, bikepacking gear is a poor substitute for panniers.

I’m not a hipster. I am a geezer. But I do off-road touring and I have few issues with bikepacking gear for that purpose. I’m not about to put the bags on my Dean El Diente SL and go touring with it, however. I have an excellent...and very stable... Cannondale touring bike for that purpose.
Look at images from the late 1800s and early 1900s of bicycles loaded for trips and you'll see t hat they look almost identical to the so called bike packing setups. What is old is new again.

Cheers