Old 02-20-21, 03:12 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Going to reiterate (bcos important) and emphasize: for me and most I know the purchase and set up of the trainer was the first step of a process that had many more steps than we anticipated.

There's another thread around here centered on connectivity frustrations, and I wish I could tell you that's unusual. It's not. And even front-line programs like Zwift are more reminiscent of AltaVista than Chrome, in terms of quality and usability.

My notes on 'getting with the smart-trainer revolution' are as follows:

1. Assembly is a separate event from 'first ride.'

2. Read carefully to ensure you have all necessary cassette spacers, thru-axle adapters, etc. prior to assembly. You can spend a fortune (or not) on accessories, but I urge you to drop $20 on a sweatguard for the top tube.

3. No matter if you have a fancy trainer pad or not, put down a large-ish sheet of cardboard under the trainer for the first week. (More on this in a minute)

4. When you first attempt to get your trainer connected (to phone, laptop, whatever), I'd suggest doing that FIRST, without doing via any ride-oriented software. For example, I first used the Wahoo phone app to update the firmware, then connected the KICKR to my laptop via Bluetooth. Went through the same process with my heart-rate monitor(s). When trying to work out all of these initial connections, make sure you turn other 'stuff' OFF. Having my phone's bluetooth 'on' when I was going through this process cost me both time and frustration.

5. At that point, you will hopefully be itching to ride, and that's the moment when you hop on and try the free trial of whichever product you try first. Do it ASAP, because - IMO - smart trainers work best when controlled by software. Sure, you can just ride them independently like a dumb trainer or rollers, but they really shine when they're being told what to do. It's why you spent the money; make sure it's working and getting orders.

6. One free trial at a time. Easy there, Eddy Merckx! Work through each one, and figure out if you like them. But absolutely try many of them. The idea that "Zwift is all you need" is akin to limiting yourself to strawberry ice cream only. If you had asked me on the day before I set up the KICKR if I could imagine subscribing to three separate online cycling platforms, I'd have been pretty dismissive. I'm now a Rouvy, Zwift and TrainerRoad customer, and glad of it. There are times I really, really need to have those chocies. (FWIW, I ride 10-14 hours/week, so if you're doing much less, YMMV).

It's important to try many of them because the feel is different. I have some pretty strident complaints about Rouvy, but tip my hat to them as their simulation of the physics of cycling is vastly, vastly better than Zwift. The first time I rode Rouvy it just felt much more like real riding, and having that option (to say nothing of thousands of routes around the world) is a big deal to me. Had Zwift not been throwing up all over itself the week I first got on (bugs and crashes), I never would have discovered it. It is only in hindsight that I realize my intention to get on a single platform was a big mistake for me.

7. A lot of people (myself included) have found riding on a trainer to require learning some new-and-different skills. Real bikes flex outside, we freewheel, use our momentum and inertia, steer, and a host of other stuff. When I ride on a trainer it impacts everything from the huge (intensity of workout; body position on bike) to small (making sure I have my fan on before I ride).

Of the above the two most-important to me are planning out the 'connectivity session' like a NASA launch, and making sure you try all the different software packages.

The last bit I'll touch in is accessories and accoutrement. I ride in my garage, and cannot begin to tell you how nice it is for me to have a dedicated space with a 50" TCR TV (under 300 at Costco) as a monitor. If you want an immersive experience, I'd call this and the fan the two absolute necessities.
And yeah, the fan is a necessity. You're really going to sweat.
If you want a laptop stand, you don't need to shell out more than $30 - Amazon is your friend.
Not sure what your approach to perineal health is, but re-double it for a smart trainer. Not only does the fixed aspect of it create more stress on your tender parts, the just-plain-fun part of it may keep you on for longer than you anticipate. Cream up!

I've found the KICKR to be life-changing (won't bore with how), and hope you have a great experience.

Edit: the cardboard, I forgot. You'll wind up sweating, lubing your chain, etc., a bunch when you first figure it all out. You'd prefer to have all that mess on cardboard you can toss, not a nice fancy mat.

Last edited by Danhedonia; 02-21-21 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For Danhedonia: