View Single Post
Old 04-14-22, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I deal with a similar situation but I never been chased by a dog for the last couple decades. I've encountered lots of aggressive dogs but they always dart for the poor fella right next to me or the other side of the road. Those dogs would even chase motorcycles! The last time I got chased by a dog while riding a bike, I'm still a little kid so many years ago (and that was my purely fault as I have often teased the same dog).

A few factors I could attribute, my very average looking commuter kit even though most of my rides are recreational in nature. Most riders around my place are commuters and I don't stand out at all. I also very little body odor even after those 3hr sweaty rides in 95F temperatures. My saddle always smells like new and it never gets washed. I never wash some of the things I wear and they never smell. My relative lack of odor can be attributed to the low proportion of meat in my diet. I also have a low calorie diet except on days I'm doing long rides. Smell is a big deal for dogs and they can smell things from much farther away than humans. And finally, how I move on the bike, how I pedal, more in an organic sense. I sway a bit side to side in a very fluid motion while pedaling.

Maybe dogs see all of it as a low threat signal so they just leave me alone.
Again with this nonsense? It's just luck of the draw. As soon as I said a couple years ago that I hadn't been chased by a dog in decades, it of course happened (albeit comically) and has happened a couple times since then. Two of the "chases" involved very small dogs, and all three involved dogs coming at me from a right angle where they were in their front yards.

Dogs react to smell and motion, but they are bred and conditioned to react differently from each other. I guarantee you that no dog is distinguishing your garb from that of "recreational" kit, whatever the hell that is, and the pedal motion crap is just that, crap. They're reacting to cycle and rider as if it's prey, most likely. Or, like the last idiot toy dog to chase me, they just charge everyone they don't know.

I ride in close proximity to dogs a lot. 99.9% of them completely ignore me. I attribute that to dogs that chase people on bikes are stupid or crazy, and pretty much random.

Hey, want to test the smell thing? Wear a bunch of wool and ride next to a bunch of shepherds and sheep dogs.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-14-22 at 10:53 AM.