Old 08-07-18, 11:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Anybody still rocking Flight Deck?

OK, so I may have missed the cutoff for "Classic and Vintage" however I consider Shimano's Flight Deck computer to be a very 1990's, old school type endeavor in today's environment of GPS, Garmin and Strava.

I have it on my 3x9 Dura Ace 7700/7703 drivetrain and I feel like they belong together. To run that bike without if would just feel wrong. I mean having a readout of the gears, the virtual cadence and the ability to toggle between menus on my shift levers - well, to me they are indispensable.

Now I'm retrofitting a Dura Ace 7800 2x10 drivetrain on my used Veritas titanium bike with it. Very clever engineering. I managed to get the left and right wires/covers in place while pulling back my tight new Hudz shift lever covers. So for now I can rewrap my new Ritchey carbon handlebars.

I know many riding friends who are not patient enough to optimize and set up such a system. I suspect the fussiness of it has a lot to do with why few people are using Flight Deck on their compatible road or mountain integrated shifters.

Just curious if my efforts are for naught. Has this technology gone the way of the dodo bird? Please share your experience.

PS: recently my Flight Deck toggles through menus independently at random times without me pushing any button. It may have something to do with me spraying WD-40 then Boeshield into the shifter mechanism earlier this year. My LBS mechanic said that the circuit would eventually dry and normal functioning would return. This is partly true but not completely. Also, I have noted that the system is very sensitive to moisture and every now and then my readout will read "zero" and I loose a small amount of my data. It could be that the wiring harness is getting temperamental but I can't say for sure. Bonus points awarded for any tips to help keep the Flight Deck as reliable and accurate as it is capable of being.....