canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
My wife has gotten into triathlons, and just purchased a TT bike. She's ridden maybe 4 times in the month since she purchased it and is now talking about quitting.
Just curious ... what did she dislike about it, or didn't find inspiring or motivating? The bike or just the whole triathlon experience?

In my case an old neck injury prevents me from staying in the aero bar position long enough to get any effective advantage. I tried some old clip on aero bars on my old steel road bike and while there was a definite speed advantage in the aero tuck, I couldn't hold it for long. So the aero bar was just added weight and drag.

A friend gave me a Trek TT bike, probably 10 years old, and I tried it a couplafew rides but couldn't get comfortable with it. And there's a minor hairline crack in the frame (top of the seat tube, probably not even dangerous, might just be in the paint). So I stripped off the components to put on a carbon road bike frame. I'm saving those Profile carbon fiber clip-ons to try again in case the neck problem improves.

Also I hate running and the thought of swimming in a typical Texas mud puddle lake alongside dozens of slippery strangers gives me the willies. I'll stick with bike rides. There's a state TT contest at the end of every summer/early autumn, so I'll shoot for that next year.