View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 01:55 PM
cgates66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VERY fair points, so I bite.

Wheels that didn't work for me: Mavic CXR60 (clinchers). Spokes were too few and too spindly resulting in lots of wheel flex that was noticeable, and rolling resistance from skinny, skinny tire was too high. The Mavic hubs by and large seem well designed - they use comparatively large bearings etc. - but this wheel was not a good match for a heavier guy. They look awesome, though, and for a lighter guy, probably are great. I sold these (to, coincidentally, a lighter guy). This is an example of a wheel with probably the best aero but for which other factors can dominate. So too few spokes with too little material, and too skinny tires = bad combo, despite super-duper aero and aesthetics, and I expect good hubs.

I still have a set of the older Boyd 60mm wheels (toroidal) which have 28 spoke drilling that mostly work. These wheels are appropriate for a heavy-ish rider, and are very stiff (short spokes, lots of them, and decent hub geometry). The rims are good, and the customer service is very good - I like Boyd as a company. The hubs from the era I own are "fine" but I have discovered some minor issues, which I believe have been largely corrected in their new hub. Main problem: 6802 bearing on the NDS, which is small, and a 6902 on the DS, which is fine. The new stuff they put out is 6902 on both sides. The result of this is accelerated wear on the NDS and maybe increased drag. I should note that for most riders, smaller bearings have less drag and Carbon-Ti, for example, uses a very similar setup. So there is a reason to do this and I still have the wheels - and servicing these things is baby-simple - but I wish I had their newer hub.

Recently had a set of HED Vanquish GPs (28-spoke drilling in the rear with CX-Sprint spokes) built with White Industries hubs, which uses 6902s. The 6902 is pretty similar to what Mavic uses in a lot of their wheels, and has about 3x the load capacity of a 6802, but these are brand-brand new so no comments yet. They are among the very few all-carbon wheels available that are aero-matched to 28c tires, and also offer 28-spoke drilling. White Industries also uses a titanium sprocket carrier.

I think the general statement I'd make is, be realistic about all aspects of your wheel because they cost a lot. If you are bigger / stronger, the things that matter (in my experience) are: larger bearings, more spoke material (e.g., if you are stuck with 24 spokes, consider CX-Sprint instead of CX-Ray) / shorter spokes, and higher-volume (25 or 28c) tires have a proportionally greater impact on you than say ultimate aero or bearing drag in a lab.