Old 09-30-20, 03:44 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’ve been very pleased with several of the less expensive Silca floor pumps like those thinktubes showed above, although I’ve replaced the hose and head with a Topeak smart head assembly - longer hose, very reliable head and more easily removed on Presta, OK on Schrader.

I also need to acknowledge Blackburn for their true lifetime warranty. I had a 20-ish year old model (no memory of which one, but it had a large diameter silver cylinder, gauge at the top). The internal check valve quit working, and no way to get at it. I contacted Blackburn and they sent, for free including shipping, a comparable replacement, a “Blackburn Piston 4”! Very nice big gauge up high, pressure relief button on the head. I don’t like it’s smart head as well as Topeak’s version since it requires greater engagement on Presta valves, but it does work well once engaged, including occasional uses on car tires when there’s a slow leak. Topping up a car tire is not an easy exercise with those Silca floor pumps.

I use the Topeak version of a Zefal HPX as a full-length frame pump on the bike with a pump peg (the flare of the Zefal handle rattles against my frame), and a surprisingly capable Lezyne Road Drive on the other, mounted with its clip behind a water bottle cage. The inline pressure gauge upgrade works quite accurately.