ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
ericcox good point about the Uno's, seems like better value, especially if the accuracy error in the Uno is a simple offset and not just a higher error bar on all readings. My anxiety is mostly around comparison to my Ptap hub, but if the Uno is consistent, then I should be able to re-calibrate my training based on the magnitude of the offset.

Still, I think of the Duo's as a "future proof" solution as well. As I get more into TT I realize how technical things can get. I will be working with a local coach on this soon, not sure if the dual read could ever become of value. Right now it's not really, nor has it ever been for me.

The Duo's price increase definitely reflects some diminishing returns IMO.
Originally Posted by RChung
If you're getting into TT, you'll probably eventually get into thinking about drag estimation. People used to ask me to help them with that. It didn't really take that long for me to ask, "what power meter are you using, and do you have a dedicated speed sensor?" because it became clear pretty quickly that if they had a single-sided power meter and were using GPS for speed that the data fidelity wasn't high enough to get usefully small variance in the estimates. Drag estimation, much more than training or pacing, requires high data quality.

I did almost all my protocol development with a Power Tap hub. It gives high data quality and has a built-in speed sensor. (And I could swap it between my road bike and my TT bike in 30 seconds).
I mean, I did spring for the duo's myself (albeit before prices went up sometime last fall / winter) and am easily persuaded I'm wrong :-). One benefit of all these systems is you can add the second pedal later as well.

I am also not doing anything overly sophisticated such as drag estimations. Just an increasingly older dude who likes the numbers because they help me pace myself on long rides and have some sort of an idea of the kinds of efforts I can maintain in group rides and, it would seem based on my recent behavior, races.