ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Not everyone needs (or wants) to do the things I do, so not everyone needs the same degree of data fidelity. However, the key is to match your needs and expectations to what the device is capable of supplying. Many of us buy power meters in part because we hope to answer questions that can't be answered with speedometers, or wristwatches, or heart rate monitors. If our questions are simple, then simple devices will suffice. However, sometimes we wonder about harder, more subtle, more puzzling questions. In those cases you don't want to be asking the additional question, "I wonder whether my power meter is giving me reliable data?" If you don't ask those kinds of hard questions, you don't need nearly as much data fidelity.
I've certainly started using the data in more sophisticated ways the longer I've had it. For those who are way more serious than I, the additional data is certainly helpful. I've done 2 races in the last 3 weeks and have enjoyed it (and not embarrassed myself). I could see getting more serious depending on how the summer goes and diving deeper into the data. I should add that I've only returned to serious riding for about a year, and am stronger now than I was 13 or so years ago when I was balancing small kids and limited riding time.