Old 07-27-21, 10:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I haven't used Molten Speed Wax but it doesn't surprise me that it is lasting a long time. The PTFE and MoS2 cost me less than $20, and with the smallest containers I could find I now have a lifetime supply. I just need to grab a block of wax to make a new batch. I figure a 1 lb batch of wax mix cost me less than $3.50 and lasts for at least 2 years, or about 10,000 miles re-waxing the chain every 300-350 miles (30-35 applications.)

BTW, I found that CeramicSpeed has the Velo News chain lube tests on their website (click the "Download Full Test Report" button). In the original test plain paraffin wax was the lowest loss chain lubricant, in the second test Molten Speed Wax was the lowest loss.
For me, it was really a matter of ease of entry - the question about getting the right ingredients ("pfffft - those PTFE granules are way too big!") and the delayed shipping times just made it easier for me to spend a little more and get on with it.

Sure, I looked at the math before purchasing, too - I think that I paid $18, including shipping - and I knew that I'd be paying 5x-10x more in the long run. I know that some people like to look at relative costs to inform purchases but, particularly with low ticket items, I don't think that it always makes sense. A product or service that's 10x more expensive doesn't necessarily have to be 10x better, not when you're ultimately talking about a product that'll last years and a price difference that'll only get you a couple of Happy Meals.

I'll probably put the ingredients on a shopping list and buy them at some point, but I'll keep recommending options like MSW to noobs. Many people already perceive waxing as a faff, so lowering the bar of entry is a good thing and it can keep people from talking themselves out of something that might otherwise be a fruitful endeavor.