Old 07-29-21, 04:44 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Depending on the mileage I get out of my first wax, I am debating doing the next wax with the Crock Pot on high (instead of low), which should speed things up and result in less wax left on the chain upon removal, thus hopefully eliminating the need to wipe the chain.
My experience with thinning the wax by heating the crock pot on high is that the chain is a bit starved for wax and then starts to become noisy much earlier. This is my biggest complaint about waxing - noise. If anybody has a secret for how best to insure a long lasting quiet chain, I would love to hear it. In my experience with Molten Speed Wax and my home brew, for both, the chain is quietest for the first 100 miles or so. After that, it gradually becomes more and more audible especially during “grinding” high torque riding segments such as seated & standing climbs. Also, for some reason, I have found different brands of chains will make more noise in certain chainring combinations and it is a bit random. For example, my Wippermann chain can be noisier in the small chainring. I have a theory that over use of “small -small” combos can lead to faster chain wear - maybe somebody could speak to that.

I also have experienced smelly, brown colored wax when I accidentally left the crock pot on high. To be fair, this is when I turned on the crock pot ahead of time & forgot about it. For this reason, I have poured out the burnt wax and started fresh with new gulf wax.
Likes For masi61: