View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Old thread, but I'm not afraid of zombies.

Originally Posted by Jno
what is a memorable bike purchase that turned out to be one you regret?
This is an easy one: my Enigma. Due to the expense, this was meant to my last bike, thus a pretty memorable purchase.

simplespeed

Really wish I'd gone for a Van Nicholas instead, as they had what turned out to be a much better warranty, and were still offering a singlespeed model at the time. At least I had some fun translating the experience into that video.

Further down the scale of regret, shoes. I wish I'd bought *more* pairs of the best I've ever had: Lake LX 50. Here is the last one, about to enter retirement. As you can see, I got every last mile out of it.

If I had a time machine, somewhere on my to do list would be stocking up enough to see me through to the end of my own particular timeline.

Originally Posted by canklecat
maybe missing some group bike rides, especially after hearing their stories and seeing some photos. Darned social media pressure.
I hear you.

The pandemic has made me wary of large group rides. Although I figure they're probably as safe as a group activity is going to be these days, it's not worth it to me and mine to take the chance.

For a number of years now I've taken part in a nocturnal social ride from London to the coast (I've written about it here). I spend a lot of time on my own, so it helps keep me from becoming a complete hermit. Having to take the train to the start and from the finish puts me off, as does the inevitable bunching up and conversation, normally one of the joys of the event.

Anyway, a few months ago one of the routes in particular attracted me because it has a lovely big hill, and I could at least cycle home at the end. I hemmed and hawed, but finally decided against. It turned out to be a beautiful clear night (rather uncharitably, I was kind of hoping it would at least rain!). This was of course made worse by reading about how a great time was had by all, without a single puncture or mechanical problem.

<shakes fist at minuscule virus>

Last edited by 905; 09-18-21 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For 905: