View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 04:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.
The only trains I have ridden were the "Superliners" that have a lower and upper level, there are shelves for luggage on the lower level right at the doorway onto the train, that I suspect is where they want the folding bikes on those trains. Other trains, I would have no clue.

After riding those a few times I have started to pack a carry on bag I leave near the door on lower level and another with the stuff I will want while on the train that I put on the shelf over my seat.

I have considered doing a short tour that used Amtrak with my folder, but have not gotten around to it yet. Covid put a dent in a lot of my plans, and continues to do so.

I was not really sure how much to fold my folder, removing the pedals and front wheel, doing the initial fold, and taking the steerer extension off the steerer takes almost no time at all. Some velcro to strap the parts together was my plan, but I was not sure if the Amtrak people would want it bagged up or anything like that. That is pretty much what it looks like in the photo, but I would have to add a rear rack for panniers. In the photo that is about 32 X 32 X 10 inches, but it would be bigger with a rack on back. I bought a Racktime Foldit Adjustable rack for that purpose.