View Single Post
Old 09-26-19, 04:54 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You have assumed the other poster actually meant to write what they wrote. I no longer do so. Chances are good they do not ride salmon, but meant to say that a driver making any kind of turn out of a parking lot will only be scanning for objects larger than a Geo Metro and will thus overlook the presence of most bicycles until they are practically on top of them.
Yup earlier this year, while making a left turn, well into turn, from terminus of bike trail; a car from opposing parking lot just pulled up to exit at speed and right turned across my arc without really even slowing down. I was aware and able to take evasive action. Driver did see me at last second, paced me for a few moments and apologized profusely. While still unnerving, it is just one example I sometimes use for city vs suburban riding. City drivers on average are more tolerant and recognize when they make mistakes. Suburban drivers are abusive. Even when they are at fault it's really 'your fault' for being in street in the first place.