Thread: I got bit today
View Single Post
Old 12-21-20, 09:11 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Got bit early this year by a chocolate lab I thought I could outrun but couldn't. It got my calf, broke the skin through my tights, then satisfied with that it turned back home. I went back to the house it was from to ask the owner if they had proof of rabies shot for the dog.

Turns out the owner was a doctor, at the same practice my primary care doctor is at. The dog was current on shots. Dr. looked at the bite - it wasn't bad and I wasn't worried about it. I told him that a lot of people ride his road (I"m sure he already knew that), and left.

I hope he kept the dog under better control after that - not everyone would be as understanding, and I coudl just as easily have crashed while trying to outrun the dog.

I was chased a few times after that this summer, and in two instances turned the dog away with a squirt from the water bottle. Third time I was riding with a friend. She had put my water bottle on my bike as we were getting ready and had shut the valve unbeknownst to me - tried to squirt the dog and nothing. Luckily I shouted it back. Pepper spray wouldn't have worked because she was in the line of fire.