Thread: P
View Single Post
Old 02-21-22, 08:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
P

I can't, but I can think French thoughts of sorts when I am building a frame. More on this point soon.

Over the years one "collects" stuff we don't intend to use soon after the money transfers. Portions of bulk offers, Bargen sale for a dream of past youth tube set. My selling off of various fork crowns showed some of my stash that I will never get around to using. I have most of three tube sets that I have had for too long. I could sell them off but I don't have that killer salesman instinct to get back even. What I do have is the want to build a few more frames, and not have to spend too much $. So, these sets seem to be a good base for my next frames.

Tube set #1 is a Vitus 172 missing a steerer and head tube. French made. I've had far more French bikes in my past then other Euro (excluding Raleigh) ones, So the French vibe took hold. This set has traditional road diameters (not metric) and "thick" 1 and .7mm walls in the main frame. 17x29.5mm blades and the chain stays have very long tire clearance indents. Right away I think of a mid/large frame with a club or sport geometry.

The search through the lugs box finds a set with curly tangs that are a pressed and welded. Next were drop outs. The SunTour Superbe set might be a bit of a later era, but the French were known for seeking out the Asian manufactures earlier than, say, the Italians were. The BB is an old pressed and welded one, BSA 68x1.370. It is also crude and has tube socket end shapes that are abrupt, very much not what the lugs say. The crown is a cast one from fairly recent years. Wide enough for 35+mm wide tires and fenders. I have old 1” threaded steerers from Reynolds, True Temper and Tange and will pick the one that works best for the length needed. The head tube is yet to be chosen too but will be 31.8mm OD.

This frame will be a classic road one for 700c wheels, about 57cm c-c with a similar TT length. Drop about 7cm. 72.5 angles and mid/long trail geometry. Dropout eyes, bottle bosses, split stops for sure.

Here’s a few shots of the beginnings.

The joinings. A little old, a little new, a little rusted and a lot of potential.

I welded some extensions and began the carving down.

The shell is about 85% done. Simple curves and expanded cut outs.

More to come as i get stuff done. Andy

The subject is supposed to be "Parlez vous Francais"