View Single Post
Old 10-25-22, 02:25 PM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I'd be a bit suspicious, if the crown race lifted right off, that it's a 27.0 ID type on a fork built to take a 26.4 ID race. I have a 60s frame bought from Hilary Stone that came that way, and also a 1960s Falcon, same deal. I rode the Falcon for several years, always wondering why it was impossible to get the irritating play out of the steerer, until I realized that the crown race wiggled right off. For some reason, I think that both the English & French waffled between 26.something and 27.0 -- possibly because (in England) Nottingham Raleighs used the latter. You might want to check the seat diameter vs the race ID. If the difference is small, the seat can be "adjusted" by knurling.
Thanks . It didn't just lift off, I gave it a soft wack with a piece of wood - it was also well greased on the steerer side, hence it came off easier than I expected. But will also measure it just in case, following what you have said. It is TDC Made in England one in VG condition by the way.