Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Hey Caretaker. Sorry maybe I should have phased things better. I have followed cycling and love the fact that their are spectators along the road cheering. It does make this sport unique. What I'm surprised about is how they let this go on
and give celeberty status to idoits that get on the road and interfer with the athletes (devil guy?) I think this is a case of "looking the other way" far too much and perhaps this recent tragety will spur positive action with some stricter enforcement(s). I am aware of the massive media campaigns urging fans to be respectful but until they dole out consequences for these actions nothing will change. Maybe finding this lady and suing her would be a good start.
Devil guy? Are you referring to Didi the Devil, a Tour feature for many years? That guy doesn't 'interfere' with the riders.

There's people like this lady with the sign and others with phone-cameras who behave as if the race is a personal photo-op and sometimes get in the way. Yes they need to be stepped on but no matter what they will still keep appearing, it's the nature of society today. The idea that stupidity can be somehow policed to an individual level over a course that's thousands of kilometres long and stretches over a three week period is just delusional.

The crowds on major climbs are part of these 3-week tours and while they may seem dangerous or unruly to the average person by and large these are experienced fans who don't let their enthusiasm get out of control. There will always be exceptions and they will be highlighted on TV and YouTube to the extent where they appear the norm, they aren't.
Likes For Caretaker: