Old 07-20-21, 06:51 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I absolutely agree. But I can't help but see that differently than "not motivated to get into shape".
Whoa, you are making an assumption that because I do not want a bicycle primarily for exercise that I am not motivated to get into shape. I am already in damned good shape for 66. I built my e bike for long distance adventure touring, its not a GD exercise machine.

"Embracing" physical limitations and infirmities is an absolute reality in nearly everyone at some point in their lives.. Nobody gets to 150 years old no matter how much they exercise. I build what I call e health bikes for people with physical limitations and infirmities that are past the point in life of expecting significant physical improvements without intervention.. I am much more concerned with improving the quality of the time they have remaining or getting them on a path to recovery than whipping them into shape. You admit to being older. You realize that you are only one diagnosis away from changing the way you think about exercise. A mindset from getting in shape to maybe riding at all.. Improving quality of life at that point is more important for longevity than vigorous exercise.

I realize that you were thinking of a couch potato slob that is plain out of shape but, think about how many people you knew that died younger than you and some of them worked hard to stay in shape.

I guess it just hits a raw nerve right now. I have a brother 63 years old who in March went from believing he was in top physical condition to being checked for Covid only to find out he has stage 4 NH lymphoma. He is now cancer free but can barely lift a spoon to feed himself. He is awaiting a bone marrow transplant and will be trying to mend starting in September. I am building him a step through cadence sensed e bike to feel like a human again.