Old 02-21-24, 05:06 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 825 Posts
I have a 2003 or 4 Airborne Zeppelin that I bought used in 2017, stock with 6500 group set. It is presently a 1 X drive train with 12 speed cassette, bar end shifters in friction mode, Tektro brake levers, with a Ritchey Beacon handlebar. It is a shade over 17 pounds with no accessories mounted. I am debating building it back to a 2 X with Shimano 9000 components, including a DA C24 wheel set. I am not really concerned about the weight, but, I think with the DA components, it is going to stay about the same. I got the entire group from a friend of mine. I have not done this yet because I really like the 1 X, it is all I need where I live, and while I am sure the DA performance will be exceptional, I don't think it is going to make a big difference to me. It does have the C24 wheels on it.
I had wanted a titanium frame set for a long time, I got the Airborne at a fantastic price off Ebay, it had very low miles and was, still is, in great shape. The ride and the handling are outstanding. Whenever I get on it after not riding it for a while, it still amazes me how light and responsive it is, but still comfortable for the long rides. Titanium is a wonderful material for building a bike frame, long lasting and easy maintenance for the frame itself. And, I like classic looking frames with modern components.
Likes For delbiker1: