View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 05:11 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I credit my dislike for gin on having got totally plastered for the first time on a base of Gin and Dr. Pepper (yes I was a dumb teenager)

as for the vegan thing, I kinda fell into a mostly vegan low fat eating style to avoid having to go on insulin. In 4 weeks, blood sugar has plummeted to high end of acceptable (am at 130 was running 200+)
I did the Dr. Neal Barnard / www.drmcdougall.com way of eating. I lost weight and it was the only time in my adult life when I had bloodwork in the normal range, dr said I had the lowest blood sugar of his patients. But its hard to stick to it when you have a wife and friends that want to eat at restaurants and like to cook, and it gets really boring pretty fast. Now I have high blood pressure and the weight has climbed. I guess I need to get back to it. I came across them because I was pre diabetic and the first thing they did was give me glucophage, then told me if I ate fat with it I would have diarrhea. So I cut out the fat, then I cut out the pills and stayed low fat and by searching low fat I found Dr. Barnards talk explaining that once the fat gets out of the cells they can handle the sugar. Everyone has a different diet and view of nutrition. All I know is this is the only thing that worked for me. Others work for other people. I went back on it for a few weeks and the BP dropped to high normal. I know what I have to do, doing it is the hard part.