View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 06:28 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
When I was young, touring, stoves, and tents were synonymous. 100% in the tent. Eventually, I found myself using my stove less and less. I also found myself mixing hotels with camping. Of course, location influences these choices. Touring Europe, I would never bring a stove. In cold, wet areas? Absolutely. I prefer to get going on the road at the crack of dawn and simply stop somewhere for my coffee although depending on your speed and location, this is not always possible. If you are unsure about cooking and already have your kit, you can always ship it home from the TA. If I were to do TA again, it would be most nights in a motel.

You are smart to do a shakedown tour. But if your preferences change on TA, you can adapt. Send stuff home. Lightening the load is a normal evolution. Not many add stuff.
FWIW, I am way more likely to use the stove in the evening since I too like to hit the road at the crack of dawn and have coffee and maybe a diner breakfast later. Often that winds up meaning missing the coffee and breakfast when the diner doesn't materialize. I often have a granola bar in camp before hitting the road.

That said, instant oatmeal or grits in camp doesn't take long and can be nice on a cold morning.

On sending stuff home... I suspect most folks do a little to a lot of that. Fewer do the opposite, but it is a good idea to have someone at home who knows where your stuff is and can mail you stuff if you want it. That can be handy if things break or you have a change of heart. Also as the climate or terrain change you may want different items.
Likes For staehpj1: