View Single Post
Old 08-26-22, 05:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 783 Posts
hey there Yan, one thing that I've been meaning to write but never got around to --- for those of us who have toured in far off places, we all know how we must always keep in mind a safety factor to avoid a dangerous situation somewhere where help would be sketchy or worse.
A few times I've made mistakes and gone too fast, and then realized that I had to be more careful and leave more safety margin--so lesson learned.

The one factor that helps with me being comfortable with X speeds for a given specific situation is that compared to my old touring bikes, the present one is so much more stable, handles really well even with a reasonably load on it (to avoid a pothole or whatever) and the mechanical disc brakes slow it down so, so much better and easier than my older bikes.
The last part about it braking so much better is the main factor, making descents so much safer for me, as I know I can safely and quickly bleed off speed with little effort or fanfare.

But if I have to carry more weight than usual, then I add in more safety margin, same with if the road is sketchy or whatever--but we all know and do this, so despite this back and forth about scientific stuff, we all have enough experience to adjust our riding to the specific environment (and that does include taking into account being in a remote area or even a non remote area but where any medical help is far, far off coming, and sketchy even if present)