View Single Post
Old 03-17-23, 06:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Bivouac sacks just are an emergency sort of deal or for really minimalistic pursuits
As a bivy user I'll comment to say that I agree to some extent at least. I have a hard time imagining anyone who would use a cot simultaneously using a bivy.

Also, folks think of those hooped little thing that are kind of mini tents when they say bivy. If not that then thing that weigh a pound or more. There is another class of bivy that weighs less than half a pound and is more like a sleeping bag cover in thet it moves around with you. It is just a light fabric envelope with mesh to let your breath out and some air in. There is also a bug bivy that is mostly mesh, but requires a tarp for any weather protection at all.

As a minimalist, I enjoy sleeping in the open when it is nice and the bugs aren't biting. With my bivy setup I can start out sleeping on top of everything. If it gets cooler, I pull the zipped open sleeping bag over me. Cooler yet, in stages, I climb in, zip up, get in the bivy, and pull the drawstring on the bag so I am breating through a small opening if it gets really cold. I typically have a tarp and if there is a chance of showers I pitch it. If I don't pitch it I keep it handy to pull over me and my gear in the event of a surprise shower. It isn't for everyone, but it can be nice.
Likes For staehpj1: