View Single Post
Old 03-19-23, 01:54 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
No ax to grind, not promoting anything, but impressed with today's superlight equipment that seems to have come from the well-heeled quadrant of the thru-hiker world.

So, a bivy + a tarp lighter than a roughly half kilogram Zpacks Plex Solo tent?
Yeah mine can be a little lighter depending on which options I take. even though not real high dollar stuff. My bivy weighs 7 ounces (Borah Side zipper ultralight bivy) and my bug bivy weighs 5.3 ounces (Ti Goat Ptramigan Bug Bivy). Which one I take depends on expected temperatures. My tarps vary from 7 ounces to 12.3 ounces. So my lightest combo is about 12.3 ounces and the heaviest is 19.3 ounces. The heavier setup is with a very generously sized tarp and much heavier than it really needs to be. I just like the luxury of the larger tarp.

Bear in mind that my bivies and tarps are not the lightest and most $$$. I don't own any super high tech fabrics so I could go a good bit lighter with the application of more $$$ for cuben fiber or whatever. Also I assume the tent you mention most likely requires a treking pole which typically isn't included in the weight.

I'd think it would be possible to stay down below a half pound if spending the kind of money the Zpacks tent costs on a tarp and bivy since that would probably get you a Dyneema tarp and bivy. That said, I haven't priced them lately as I don't find Dyneema worth the money to me.
Likes For staehpj1: