View Single Post
Old 06-19-22, 11:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
What year? Man, I loved my probably 1972 Competezione, purchased in 1979 or 1980. I knew the previous owner, and he didn't ride it much, and he kept it original. So ... mine had a label that said 'Reynolds 531 frame tubes' - manganese moly, not chrome-moly, and probably straight-gauge, not double-butted.

The Campy GT rear derailleur is just plain awful. I quickly replaced it with a Suntour. The GT front der was actually a Valentino or Valentino Extra; it was much better than the GT but still undistinguished. The hubs were Campy Gran Sport, IIRC.

In the early '70s, the Comp came with sewups. I built new wheels rather than risk riding on sewups, but I most definitely didn't use steel rims. It looks like someone just jammed in 27" wheels with steel rims, which means you pretty much can't stop in rain. You'll need new wheels - something like this at $149 plus shipping: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...2dtkks4nfif3h1 - but the Comp came with 121mm rear dropout spacing, so you may have to pay to get the dropouts re-spaced.

Mine had Weinmann center-pulls front and back.

IOW, the bike you've asked about looks like it was thrown together by someone with spare parts. It needs a lot of work. Even if you clean the bike up and overhaul the bearings (headset, BB), you still have to get or build new wheels, because steel wheels are pretty far over into the 'unsafe' category. Just the parts for building new wheels will probably cost more than buying them ready-made.

IDK ... $50 as a project? More if you part it out, but given how the bike looks, I wouldn't expect the parts to be in very good shape.

Last edited by philbob57; 06-19-22 at 12:09 PM.