View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 11:10 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I was going to say: Are those the original wheels? But you've answered my query! Thanks...32 X3 laced is the way to go. After all - the wheels are, along with the brakes, the most important part(s) of a bicycle in my view. So I always look at the wheels first. I'd never counsel someone to buy cheap wheels.

But these days many of the manufacturers are doing just that - supplying utterly cheap - and lousy - wheels. In order to increase their profits, their marketing departments started a blitz of ads saying that having a radial front wheel was the coolest! If you don't run radial wheels up front - you're not cool, hip, and with it, Dude. And similar for the rear wheel as well. And you know what? People bought it.

So to anyone out there, I'll drop a nugget of advice: If you are buying a new bike at your LBS, always look at the wheels. If there are 18 or 20 spokes up front, And a low number like 24 in the rear - be prepared to get some 'real' wheels and factor that into the total cost of the new bicycle. Those low spoke-count wheels aren't cool, they are stupid and cheap to manufacture. Leave the radial-spoked wheels to the professional racers out there. In my perspective, they have no business being on bicycles that are going to go wheeling around town and/or weekend touring or such.

And on that note - remember: A professional racer has sponsors who will gladly replace a wheel for their rider without hesitation. You, most likely, do not.

<EDIT> 65 - or it could be the camera angle. Anywho, they are just fine - perfect even - thank you. Nice even contact and have never needed adjustment since I installed them last year. Remember - I had the Avid SD 3's that were nothing but trouble.These are Avid SD 7's - which I highly recommend to people looking for some really good, and not too expensive, v-brakes. Both pads up front, and rear, are 2mm off the rims on both side - at the front of the pads.

Last edited by Panthers007; 08-15-09 at 11:17 PM.