View Single Post
Old 07-17-21, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I just finished the book, Just Ride, by Grant Peterson. Review at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9189678-just-ride

I share his opinion on the negative effect on overall bicycling use by the emphasis on racing derived design and rider objectives (speed, weight, distance) by bicycling industry marketeers and press/social media pundits and cycling enthusiast exclusivity.

Note: I don't think Mr. Peterson's overpriced bicycles and emphasis on aesthetics, geometry, bar tape and other snobish quirks are the answer to getting a higher proportaion of the public to consider bicycle riding as a practical means of transporting oneself about town.
I think some of Peterson's critiques seem a bit dated as much of the market shifted away from lightweight racing bikes to possibly overbuilt gravel/adventure bikes. And frankly, I found a lot of his pronouncements somewhat incoherent --why should it matter to anyone else whether I'm riding for time or for distance. I'd rather ride for the number of miles because I like going places so it motivates me to ride longer. If I just rode for 6 hours for the sake of filling six hours, I probably wouldn't do it. I'm not sure what the psychology behind that is, but I'm not switching my priorities around just because he says distance is too racy.

I agree with you that the egalitarian ethos of the book's mismatch with his quirky elitist bikes is rather jarring. And you can take my STI out of my cold dead hands.