I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think some of Peterson's critiques seem a bit dated as much of the market shifted away from lightweight racing bikes to possibly overbuilt gravel/adventure bikes.
I don't have the numbers, and am willing to be educated about the "market", but I suspect that the market for expensive "enthusiast approved" lightweight racing bikes has always been a small fraction of the total number of bicycles sold in the U.S. when "the market" includes ALL bicycle sales outlets, and not just LBS and online sales of bicycles to adult enthusiasts, and does not weight the count based on the retail price of the units. Bikes that ape the looks of the racing bikes ,with dropped handlebars, extreme geometry, narrow high pressure tires, pedal /shoe systems, no clearance or fittings for fenders or racks, etc. and not really designed for any bicycling purpose other than posing always seemed much more popular on Bike Forums and perhaps on club rides and at locations where enthusiasts congregate, than seen elsewhere in the wild.