View Single Post
Old 09-03-21, 09:49 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
I presume you mean a ventilated hydraulic brake ($$), because a standard disc would fry under your conditions.
I have a TRP hy/rd on rear, which has been fine. Hasn't fried. Figured I'd use that on front. Co-Mo, Santana and others put cable discs on front, so I assume they work without frying.
You ok with bleeding the brake, carrying fluid and topping off on a long tour if needed?
Yes. You should see my toolkit. Otoh, never had to bleed my hy/rd.
You will need to change your shifter to be compatible ($$). .
That assumes I need hydros. I use bar-end shifters and TRP RRL levers, which should be fine with cable or hybrid discs.
consider instead changing the rear hub to something that can accept a drag brake.
My DT Swiss Hugi rear hub on the Co-Mo has a threaded adaptor that would work with Arai drum.. I have Arai drum on our Santana, and I love it. But I can't see carrying the extra xx pounds 3,800-miles cross country just for the 5 miles I needed them. The TRP hy/rd on the back worked fine, plus I also have V brakes on the back as backup. Also, something like 75% of braking power is on the front, which is why I want to work on the front.
But, it is not disc brake sexy and bike companies like to sell stuff.
I don't care about sexy. I'm a 64-year-old dork, for chrissakes. I care about what works.
Tubeless...you tour off road in goathead country or on interstate shoulders often? Otherwise why bother.
Because I want to try it, as I said. On our X-C, I met a bunch of fully-loaded cyclists on tubeless who swore by them on paved roads. So I'd like to try.
higher pressure tires and tubeless do not go well together.
We tour on 60-70 psi. Is that high pressure?
Our newer tandem has a son28 and rohloff. I agree with rick, andra rims are the best. However, you are focused on the front wheel, 36 spokes are ok in front since it is not a dished wheel.
Are Son disc hubs symmetrical? Don't they require dish?

​​​​​​​

Last edited by sapporoguy; 09-03-21 at 09:55 PM.