Old 02-17-18, 01:21 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Someone who Really wants to do some work, and not just speculate,, like I am about to do ...

But yeah, I have Never heard of crime on a U.S. city bus. I am sure there has been Some ... just the odds, too many people on too many buses for two many decades ... but I cannot recall a story about someone being robbed or randomly assaulted on a bus.

The reason to be aware of what's going on is mostly to not be pestered by people begging or people desperate for attention who want to tell you tinfoil-hat stories about their lives and why they aren't the Governor of three states any more ... that kind of thing. I usually sat at the back and near the rear door ... so I guess I was one of the "undesirables" all you weak folk are afraid to meet ... . hey, nice to meet you.

New York subways? Yes, I have heard of people being robbed on subways. Buses? I cannot recall seeing that.

People who are afraid to ride buses are just afraid. People on buses are just people.

It is interesting to see how many people here who seem to respect what I write, would probably call the cops on my if they met me in person.

But ... hey, no , don't challenge your own prejudices, Never do that.

Post Script: This is sort of comical by contrast. A few years ago I did a cross-country charity ride where we did some rough camping. One urban dude from a cool climate got totally freaked out when one of the more experienced campers said stuff like, "Shake out your shoes in case scorpions crawl in over night, and if a snake falls asleep near you for body heat, don't freak, just get up slowly."

Here was a guy who had probably ridden hundreds of trains and subways and had survived in cities all over the world but he was freaked out in the desert.

The tips listed above for dealing with urban environments are no more scary to me than the tips about sleeping in the desert.

People can fear whatever they want. They can also Not fear. I tend more to change myself rather than complaining pointlessly about the world I cannot change.
I'm happy to agree with you. It's natural that people become frightened when they're in novel situations. It's important to remember the distinction between "It is dangerous here" as opposed to "I feel endangered here."

"Think Outside the Cage"